Welcome to Virtual Ecologies!
WELCOME TO THE VIRTUA-ECO FORUMS!

50% of your FINAL ASSESSMENT is an "Individual Effort" mark, so make sure you post as much work on the forums as possible to get the most marks!
WELCOME TO THE VIRTUA-ECO FORUMS!

50% of your FINAL ASSESSMENT is an "Individual Effort" mark, so make sure you post as much work on the forums as possible to get the most marks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UE4 Level Design Development Diaries for Virtual Worlds!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5327 - week 9 update

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BigfootAUS-5327

Contribution Points : 20

5327 - week 9 update Empty
PostSubject: 5327 - week 9 update   5327 - week 9 update Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 3:20 pm

So this week I've been looking at how to make our "background" be more interesting - I know in the blocking we have the silhouette of the city and that's nice, but I don't think it's enough. I also found a basic fence to use as a border for our playable exterior area so I've placed that in our scene (and Sinnisa, you can still search for a fence for the dock if you want since I left that untouched).
I found silhouettes of a cruise ship and two naval ships, which I placed in the scene and animated to rotate around the island very slowly, but had to increase the water size to give enough space to make it all work together nicely.
5327 - week 9 update YYm0mXT
5327 - week 9 update S5quon6
5327 - week 9 update LrD5IVH

Something else I'm going to do over this weekend is look for some decent rocks to cover up the edges of the island - it was part of our plan to have it be like a cliffside thing, and it'll help hide the stretched textures and any holes from my shoddy fence-work. Areas in particular that need rocks:
5327 - week 9 update GMWCTDu
5327 - week 9 update LghMU2C
5327 - week 9 update 51jh7Bo

I'm trying to write up a small to-do list to keep things organized over the next few weeks, too:
- find more trees to give some variety to the island
- find more exterior props to litter around the island
- find more interior props to litter around the prison and guard office
- redo the prison geometry so that the now-blocked second floor and half of the first floor don't chew up so much power. We designed and blocked out two levels of the prison, and ended up using half of the first level in the blocking submission. Cutting out unnecessary polygons should help with the performance.
- find windows and or security cameras or other prisony stuff to decorate the prison exterior and guard office exterior and make it look less like a flat block
- find a lighthouse. I found one for $1 on the asset store that I think would work well, so I'll use that if I can't find a free alternative
- find more textures for the terrain so it's not all solid grass (maybe dirt/worn grass around the fence? dirt paths between buildings and dock walkway?)
- find a new streetlamp asset; the current one is tied to a massive city asset pack/prefab and can't be separated, and it's increasing our file size a lot. Not fun for submissions.

Asset store links:
Basic fence - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/70
Lighthouse - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/39917
Back to top Go down
Carlton
Admin
Carlton

Contribution Points : 626

5327 - week 9 update Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5327 - week 9 update   5327 - week 9 update Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 8:22 pm

The rocks was a great idea to cover up that terrain Smile
Back to top Go down
https://virtuaeco.rpg-board.net

5327 - week 9 update
Page 1 of 1